Artificial intelligence (AI) is defined as the ability of machines to perform tasks that are usually associated with intelligent beings. Argument and debate are fundamental capabilities of human intelligence, essential for a wide range of human activities, and common to all human societies. The development of computational argumentation technologies is therefore an important emerging discipline in AI research1. Here we present Project Debater, an autonomous debating system that can engage in a competitive debate with humans. We provide a complete description of the system’s architecture, a thorough and systematic evaluation of its operation across a wide range of debate topics, and a detailed account of the system’s performance in its public debut against three expert human debaters. We also highlight the fundamental differences between debating with humans as opposed to challenging humans in game competitions, the latter being the focus of classical ‘grand challenges’ pursued by the AI research community over the past few decades. We suggest that such challenges lie in the ‘comfort zone’ of AI, whereas debating with humans lies in a different territory, in which humans still prevail, and for which novel paradigms are required to make substantial progress.
You are here: / / / An autonomous debating system.
- ROLE INTERPRETATION TECHNIQUES AND THE NIGERIAN ACTOR: PETER FATOMILOLA IN FOCUS.
- EVALUATION OF NIGERIA DEPOSIT INSURANCE CORPORATION (NDIC)’S ROLE IN DISTRESS MANAGEMENT OF NIGERIAN BANKS.
- AN ANALYSIS ON THE PERSISTENT DEPRECIATION OF THE NAIRA IN THE FOREIGN EXCHANGE MARKETS CAUSES EFFECTS AND SOLUTIONS
- AN INVESTIGATION INTO THE CHALLENGES OF IFRS ADOPTION AND IMPLEMENTATION AMONGST SMALL AND MEDIUM SCALE ENTERPRISE OPERATORS IN NIGERIA
- EVALUATION OF INTERNALLY GENERATED REVENUE AND ECONOMIC GROWTH OF KANO STATE FROM 1999-2014
- ASSESSMENT OF CAPITAL GAIN TAX ADMINISTRATION IN NIGERIA: PROBLEM AND PROSPECT. CASE STUDY OF FEDERAL INLAND REVENUE SERVICE
- AN EVALUATION OF THE EFFECT OF ACOUNTING RECORDS ON THE PERFORMANCE OF SME IN NIGERIA A STUDY OF SELECTED SMES IN LAGOS METROPOLIS
- AN EMPIRICAL STUDY OF ECONOMIC AND BEHAVIOURAL DETERMINANTS OF TAX COMPLIANCE
- EFFECT OF ETHICAL ACCOUNTING PRACTICES ON ORGANIZATIONAL PRODUCTIVITY IN NIGERIA
- FEDERAL GOVERNMENT FINANCIAL ALLOCATION PLANNING AND ITS CONTROL IN AN EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION
- ASSESSMENT OF EFFECTIVENESS OF ACCOUNTING INFORMATION AS A TOOL FOR MANAGEMENT DECISION
- BREAK-EVEN THEORY AND ACCOUNTING AS A MANAGEMENT DECISION A TOOL
- FUNDING OF FEDERAL PARASTATALS A STUDY OF FEDERAL RADIO COOPERATION OF NIGERIA IN ENUGU STATE
- FAIR VALUE MEASUREMENT AND PERFORMANCE ON SELECTED MANUFACTURING COMPANIES IN NIGERIA
- THE EFFECTS OF CREDIT MANAGEMENT ON LIQUIDITY POSITION OF A MANUFACTURING COMPANY (A CASE STUDY OF NIGERIAN BREWERIES PLC, ENUGU STATE)
- DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF ACCOUNT HOLDER’S INFORMATION SYSTEM FOR A MICRO FINANCE BANK
- AN APPRAISAL OF INFRASTRUCTURAL FACILITIES AND PERSONNEL FOR TEACHING PHYSICS IN SENIOR SECONDARY SCHOOLS
- A STATISTICAL RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN STUDENTS COURSE OF STUDY AND THEIR ATTITUDE TOWARDS EDUCATIONAL DEVELOPMENT IN NIGERIA
- THE IMPORTANCE OF FINANCIAL ACCOUNTING LITERACY ON THE GROWTH, DEVELOPMENT, SURVIVAL, PRODUCTION AND PERFORMANCE OF SMES
- TREASURY MANAGEMENT STRATEGIES AND CHALLENGE IN THE BANKING INDUSTRIES