GOVERNMENT POLICIES ON RURAL INDUSTRIALIZATION AND ITS IMPACT ON COOPERATIVE DEVELOPMENT (A CASE STUDY OF SELECTED COOPERATIVE SOCIETIES IN UMUNNEOCHI L.G.A OF ABIA STATE)
The contribution of government policies on rural industrialization and its impact on cooperative societies with Ummunneochi L.G.A of Abia State as the case study. Data was generated by questionnaires distributed among registered cooperative societies and government policies in rural areas. Cooperative have contributed by providing farm inputs to rural areas
TABLE OF CONTENT
Approval page ii
Table of content vi
1.0 Introduction 1
1.1 Background of the study 1
1.2 Statement of problem 3
1.3 Objective of the study 4
1.4 Research question 5
1.5 Significance of the study 6
1.6 Scope of the study 6
1.7 Limitation of the study 7
1.8 Definition of terms 8
2.0 Literature review 11
2.1 Introduction 11
2.2 Cooperative in umuneochi L.G.A of Abia State 11
2.3 The Government policies of rural industrialization 15
2.4 The concept of cooperative development 19
2.5 The nature of cooperative societies in Umuneochi L.G.A of Abia state 24
2.6 Services offered by rural industrialization 26
2.7 Financial institution 27
2.8 Problems encountered by cooperative
in industrialization of rural areas 28
2.9 solutions to the problems encountered by
cooperative in industrialization of rural areas 29
3.0 Research methodology 33
3.1 Introduction 33
3.2 Research design 33
3.3 Population size 33
3.4 Sources / method of data collection 35
3.5 Sample size / sample size determination 36
3.6 Sampling technique and procedure 36
3.7 Validation of research instrument 37
3.8 Method of data analysis 38
4.0 Presentation and analysis of data 40
4.1 Introduction 40
4.2 Presentation of data analysis 40
4.3 Analysis of data 41
4.4 Interpretation of data 46
5.0 Summary, conclusion and recommendation 47
5.1 Introduction 47
5.2 Summary of findings 47
5.3 Conclusion 48
5.4 Recommendations 49
Definition of cooperative societies are voluntary from business organizations in which individuals in a particular trade come together to foster/develop a smooth relationship aimed or protecting the interest of their members.
Ogujifor (2001) defined cooperative society as an association of persons or group of individuals who voluntarily joined together through business organization to achieve their common capital sharing in the risk and benefits and member participate actively or democratically.
Cooperative association and movement in the world has been seen as a continued or situational event or activity and an invention of necessity. It was born out of the local and economic condition and situation in Europe. The industrial revolution in Europe in the late eighteenth and all through the nineteenth century culminated in the formation of cooperative movement.
The rise and expansion of the modern cooperatives movement has its roots in the far reaching economic, social and political changes which took place in Europe in the eighteenth and nineteenth century especially the industrial revolution and the liberation of the peasantry from the former feudalistic system.
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
In every area of human endeavour, there are policies, rules and regulations that wide them. Also in every sector of the economy, both government and private business, there exist government policies that serves as a guiding principles or tools for regulations of the government against the performance of the operations of such sector. For example e.g NIPOST, agriculture, health, housing, transportation and services etc.
However, a good government will seek the welfare of its citizens; this explains newly such policies are argued/ ordained.
A good government policy is the government policy that has achieved a level of good or better like for its citizenry. Rural industrialization is synonymous. With development. Industrial development usually starts with simple processing of agricultural commodities by hand later by well fashioned and highly sophisticated equipment. These days, industrial manufacturing is a sophisticated mechanized process carried out in small firms or in huge plants and factories.
- STATEMENT OF PROBLEMS
These are some problems, which hampered rural industrialization in Nigeria such as:
- high taxation in the operators and such business/ sector
- low level technology: cooperative development in its infancy, machines are foreign technology.
- High social responsibility demands/law by the government and host commodities.
- Poor infrastructural development: In cooperative society in Umuneochi has not developed significance to encourage rapid industrialization by infrastructures, we mean education health facilities, roads, electricity, telecommunication and postal services etc.
- Inadequate capital: The amount of capital required per workers in rural industry is high and this is one of the main reasons why the take off into itself- sustained growth is such difficult operations as a result of cooperative development in Umunneochi still depend much on foreign investment for large industrial establishment.
- OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
- How the government formulate policies that will help achieve industrialization on cooperative development in rural areas.
- The study will find out how the government policies have impacted on cooperative development through rural industrialization.
- The study will also find out how the federal government (FG) through the federal department of cooperative improves the formation of agricultural cooperative and policies throughout the country.
- How the services of rural industries improve industrialization through cooperative development.