THE ROLE OF COMPUTERS IN MANAGEMENT INFORMATION SYSTEM A CASE STUDY OF NATIONAL FERTILIZER COMPANY OF NIGERIA (NAFCON) ONNE). A RESEARCH PROJECT MATERIAL ON ACCOUNTING
Management information system is the formal method by which management gathers, compares analyses, processes, stores and retrieves accurate information in a timely, effective and efficient manner to aid in the decision making process of an organization. It is made up of three concepts: namely; of old, data processing was done manually, but with the introduction of computers, data is how processed with the use of computers. This does not however totally displace human processing abilities. Hence the hypothesis of this project work are as follows:
1. That the role of computers in management information system is negligible.
2. smaller organizations should not be encouraged to use computers in their business except it I most relevant.
3. the disadvantages of the use of computers in general is negligible.
SOURCES OF DATA
2. The Open Questionnaire
3. the Face-to-Face interview
OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY TO FIND OUT:
a. What management information system is all about.
b. What are the difficulties usually encountered in trying to gather necessary data for management usage
c. What role has computer come to play in management information system
e. How a computer-based management information system could be installed.
f. To find out the problems usually associated with the management of information and how it could be overcome.
g. To survey other types of information system and their different characteristics
h. To find out the role of management in the development, implementation and use of computerized information system.
j. To examine different application packages that could be used in processing, storage and retrieval of information for management consumption
Based on the findings and recommendations, it has been found out that the role computer plays in management information system is significant because the end result is encouraging though it cannot be compared to the human brain.
This is despite the fact that the use of computers in data processing also has some disadvantages such as high cost of acquiring and reduction in manpower.
Hence smaller organizations which have the intention to get their business computerized have been advised to go ahead though some recommendations have been made to guide them in the computerization. Such recommendations are:-
1. Carrying out of feasibility study report before delving into it. This will enable tem find out if they actually need computers or not, which areas it is needed and how much it will cost them to acquire one.
2. they incorporate the workers into the plan so as to dispel their negative reactions towards the new change.
3. to adopt the parallel change-over technique where the manual method (old method) will run hand in hand with the computer method. This is to enable with the computer method. This is to enable them compare the two methods before choosing the best.
The case study has also been advised to try as much as possible to get all their personnel trained on the use of computers since they already have a training school, this will help reduce the excessively off in manpower.
1.1 THE EVOLUTION OF MANAGEMENT INFORMATION CONCEPT
For as long as men store to accomplish task, make decision about scares resources in uncertain situations management will continue to need information.
In this managerial world of increasing uncertainty due to rapid change, information becomes the key to management effectiveness. Today’s manager faces a confusion of potential sources of information, he has to determine what information he needs. This is now a new and crucial management function. The idea of an information system to support management and decision making pro-dates the use of computers, which have extended the organizational capabilities for implementating such a system.