A STUDY OF THE CHALLENGES FACED BY MANAGERS IN PROVIDING EFFICIENT CATERING SERVICE IN THE OLD PEOPLES HOME
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Managers are the community that visibly stands apart in present-day business organization, although heterogeneous and difficult to unequivocal defining. The reasons for this phenomenon are concerned with the process of ownership and management’s
separation, therefore with so called “managerial revolution”. In the business encyclopedia, manager is described as a person, who fulfills the primordial managerial functions (planning, organizing, motivating and controlling) and is the superior of given human team (Encyklopedia biznesu1995). However, manager is a person who first of all is responsible for realization of management process. In particular manager is the person, that makes plans and decisions, organizes, supervises and controls human, finance and information resources (Griffin2010). Manager can be seen as a profession which essence is the management – the art of reaching goals by proper using the finance, material and human resources (Pocztowski1997). In catering management the manager is seen as a person employed for managing, fulfilling all his functions and making use of all or some part of fund/resources in order to achieve goals of the whole or its given part.
Catering is the business of providing food service at a remote site or a site such as a hotel, public house (pub), private home or other location. Catering has evolved to become an artisanal affair.The importance of good quality food to the health and well being of older people, and how the housing and care industry needs to embrace the opportunity of expecting more from the catering. There seem to be different challenges being faced by mangers in providing efficient service. The preparation of food and its related knowledge are an inevitable part of daily living and an important part of an economy. The subject is addressing the challenges faced by managers in providing efficient catering service in the old people home.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The challenges faced by managers in providing efficient catering service for old people home cannot be overemphasized. This is because the basic human need of food with product and services from an industrial perspective could be challenging. Through this study, the biological cum environmental, social and cultural level of needs are examined. By proposing a solution for the needs, the crafts of cooking and principles of nutrition and technology will be applied. Via playing a role as a service provider, a manager that renders catering in old people’s home will be nourished with interpersonal skills and a sense of elegance.
The focus at mealtimes should be about creating an experience for guests and delicious quality food in old people home. A fresh look and innovation are needed to raise standards in line with an increasingly savvy and demanding customer.
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The main purpose of this research is to study the challenges faced by managers in providing efficient catering service in old people home. Therefore, the objectives in the research is aimed at;
- To examine the roles of managers in providing efficient catering service in old people’s home
- To state the challenges managers faced in providing efficient catering service for old people’s home.
- To establish a positive attitude towards the development of new products and ideas in catering business for old people’s home.
- To acquire the knowledge and develop the skills required for overcome the challenges faced by managers in providing efficient catering services in old people’s home.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
- What are the roles of managers in providing efficient catering service in old people’s home?
- What are the challenges managers faced in providing efficient catering service for old people’s home?
- How would a positive attitude be towards the development of new products and ideas in catering business for old people’s home?
- How can one acquire the knowledge and develop the skills required for overcome the challenges faced by managers in providing efficient catering services in old people’s home?
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The significance of this study cannot be overemphasized. This is because providing catering service for old people is very challenging. These service providers such as old people’s home need efficient managers to run the business for successfully business transactions and profit return. Hence, this work will reveal some skills and knowledge that will help the manager to overcome various challenges that are being faced in rendering efficient catering services in old people’s home.
Also, it will be of help to hospitality management students who intends to carryout similar research work, since it will serve as secondary material for their research.