TABLE OF CONTENTS
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Aims and Objectives of the study
- The scope and limitation of the study
- Significance of the study
- Research Methodology
- Definition of terms used
- Organization of the study
- Literature review
- Definitions of personnel management
- Types of personnel management
- Function of personnel management department
- The United system of personnel management as it applied to Ifelodun Local government.
- Administrative and management in an Organization.
- Historical Background of Ifelodun Local Government
- Organizational structure of Ifelodun Local Government
- Organizational chart of Ifelodun Local Government
- Interpretation and analysis of data
- Data presentation and Analysis
- Roles of Personnel Department in local Government
- Effects of the personnel department in Local Government
- Summary, Conclusions and Recommendations
Labour as a factor of production is different from the other factors like Material, machinery and money in as much as it has a will of its own. The importance of human factors in an efficient and successful Management of Industrial enterprises for the management to think in terms of providing some machinery for managing men. Personnel department came to be recognized as an internal part of the managerial set-up. The outcome of the development is the emergence of personnel management as vital part of management studies.
Besides the recognition of the importance of the human factors and some other factors also contributed towards, the development of personnel management. The recognized labour (i.e the trade Unions) has to remain in touch with the needs and aspirations of the people at work and ensure that the observance of large numbers of complicated rules framed by the government for the protection of the interest of the workers, some agencies was necessary since the workers are employed in very large numbers and new on continuous basis in modern days. More so, as the work of various departments is of specialized nature. The management under the factory system of production could not have been carried, on by the existing organs of management. A separate department was absolutely essential for coping with this task the personnel department was established for this purpose.
The proper management of human factors in an organization involves careful handling of relationship among the individual to work. Personnel management is meant to assist in maintaining these relationship on a basis which enables all those engaged in the undertaking to make their best personnel contribution to the effective working of the undertaking. The personnel management which is primarily concerned with human relationship within an organization. It attempts to ensure the mental and material welfare of the employees so that they work efficiently. Personnel management in a modern sense is only but a sub-system of modern scientific management system which is concerned only with the operational function of management in an organization or institution.
Personnel Management requires a personnel manager whose work is to carryout those personnel management function. The modern management function has made its functions two fold: The operative and management function, the operative function is central to the personnel manager in an organization.
The operative function of a personnel manager is multi-dimensional and pivotal in realization of pre-determined objectives of the organization. The personnel manager is the linkman between the workers and the management he has the responsibility of interpreting and implementing management policy decision to the knowledge and understanding of the workers and tries to integrate it with the organization objectives in order to achieve greater success. He also needs to maintain high level of discipline among his staff. The discipline should be sees from the point of obedience on the part of both the subordinate and the superior officers.
1.2 OBJETIVES OF THE STUDY
The objectives of this research work is to know:
- The historical background of Ifelodun local government area of Kwara State.
- To know the great role that personnel management play in administration of local government to Ifelodun Local Government area of Kwara State.
- To find out the Problems facing personnel management in Ifelodun Local Government area of Kwara State.
- Finally, to recommend and provide ways of solving the identified problems in Ifelodun Local Government area of Kwara State. (With the Mission of Knowing how personnel Management could be improved).