AN INVESTIGATION INTO ACADEMIC INDISCIPLINE AND FAILURE AMONG SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS IN ACCOUNTING IN PERIOD 2005-2010
Table Of Contents
1.1 Background Of Study
1.2 Statement Of The Problems
1.3 Purpose Of The Study
1.4 Significant Of The Study
1.5 Research Questions
1.6 Scope Of The Study
1.7 Definition Of Terms
2.0 Literature Review
2.1 Aspects Of Students Indiscipline
2.2 Causes Of Students Indiscipline
2.3 Consequences Of Students Indiscipline
2.4 Strategies Of Maintaining Discipline
2.5 Summary Of Literature Review
3.0 Research Methodology
3.1 Research Design
3.2 Area Of The Study
3.3 Population Of The Study
3.4 Sample And Sampling Techniques
3.5 Development Of The Instrument
3.6 Method Of Data Collection
3.7 Method Of Data Analysis
3.8 Validation Of InstrumentChapter Four:
4.0 Data Presentation And Data AnalysisChapter Five:
5.0 Discussions Of Findings, Recommendations, And Summary
5.6 Limitation Of The Study
Background of the Study
According to Oxford Advanced learners Dictionary (7th editions) failure is lack of success in doing or achieving something. It is pertinent (relevant) to know that everybody in every works of life is afraid of failure. According to America Heritage (R) Dictionary, failure is lack of discipline or restraint (control) while failure to fulfill promise is called indiscipline.investigation into academic indiscipline Indiscipline is a rudimentary ingredient that plays a crucial role in school system, which Insist on upholding the moral values of students. It comprises a wide spectrum of meaning, well from the negative or positive perspective i.e a particular attitude towards something i.e view point. However, it is human immune to always focus on the negative smell and that would be considered a popular issue if it involves an individual or a group that claims an intimate relationship (close relationship) within a society.investigation into academic indiscipline
Schon, D. (1993) aptly states that every child has a need to attend school. Schools are seen as provider of education as education is an important process that each individual has to undergo in life today. Thus, education is seen as the key to unlock the treasure prove of knowledge i.e valuable things that are found hidden or whose owner is unknown student’s misbehaviour is a prevailing problem affecting schools not only in Nigeria but also across the many countries around the Africa.
Students misconduct in the classroom interferes with teaching and learning and is thought to be precursor to later school dropout and similar negative social out-comes. Student’s behaviour problems are also thought to be a leading contributor to teacher’s stress and attrition (Making somebody weaker). Teacher’s subjected to abuse report experiencing fears for their intense feeling of anger, humiliation or shame, Isolation and depression.
Some teenagers may never reveal the nature of the incident or it’s impact on them in such cases, the confidence of the teachers has been undermined, his/her sense of personal safety related and the perpetration has not been conditioned.investigation into academic indiscipline
1.2 Statement of the Problem
Education is the bedrock of development of any country. This is the reason why the integral part of our budget goes to education. The government is fighting very hard to shake off the under-development. How much was voted for education budgets.
Academic excellence is everybody’s wish for himself and his relations. During the colonial days some people know the efficacy in education.investigation into academic indiscipline
It is with dismay (a worried, sad feeling) to observe the damaged academic indiscipline has done to our schools even our secondary schools which the preparatory stage of higher education.
Teachers are not coping well with the implementation of the curriculum, hence the low achievement of the product of secondary schools illiteracy, innumeracy (unable to court or do simple Accounting ) and basic skills.
The value system in the country has made everybody to be corrupt. Lack of adequate infrastructural facilities such as teaching aids, buildings, transport, water and power supplies etc have led to academic indiscipline and failure among secondary school students.investigation into academic indiscipline
1.3 Purpose of the Study
It is ideal to investigate into academic indiscipline and failure among secondary school students based on these objectives:-
a. To critically define indiscipline and failure in secondary schools.
b. To investigate into the causes of academic indiscipline and failure into our schools.
c. To recommend possible ways of cubing academic indiscipline and failure among secondary school students.investigation into academic indiscipline
1.4 Significant Of The Study
This study would be of immense help to the secondary school students as it would investigate clearly why our students are involved in academic indiscipline and why they fail woefully in their examination. It will also want to find out positive and lasting solution towards their being made better examination candidates especially in compulsory subjects like Accounting education
The entire society also stand the chance to benefit immensely because the students in secondary schools will be equipped to take their Senior Secondary school Certificate Examination (SSCE) confidently which will in long them lead to sufficiency.investigation into academic indiscipline
1.5 Research Questions
1. Does frustration cause academic indiscipline?
2. Can failure cause the student to dropout from school.
3. Is the teacher a role model to the students?
4.Do some secondary school administration encourage examination malpractice?
5. Does broken home make a student to be aggressive
6. Have the child’s background have any contribution to his behaviour at school.
7. Can lack of confidence lead to failure.
8. Teaching the students with precepts (principles) and examples can it help to combat indiscipline?
9. How did the students perform in these subjects from 2005-2010?
10. Which one did they perform better or worse?
11. What are the possible reasons for their performances?
1.6 Scope of the Study
The study is deliminated to a subject in senior secondary schools in Nigeria.
1.7 Definition of Terms
Academic indiscipline involves all those undesirable attitudes exhibited by students in the schools. Examples; bullying, fighting, stealing, poor attitudes to schools activities, vandalism etc.investigation into academic indiscipline
1. Truancy: According to NTI, NCE (2001) Education cycle 4, truancy is an act of staying away from school without good reason or permission and students who involve in this act is called truant. A times, they leave the school to stay in a hide out playing, gambling (the activity of playing games of chance for money and watching movies.
2. Bullying: A bully is someone who use his strength or power to hurt or frighten people. He enjoys oppressing others weaker then himself.investigation into academic indiscipline
3. Vandalism: According to oxford Advanced learners Dictionary) it is the crime of destroying or damaging something, especially public property, deliberately and for no good reason.investigation into academic indiscipline
4. Malpractice: The dishonest use of a position of trust for personal gain. It is an act of ommission or commission which comprises the validity, reliability and integrity of any examination.investigation into academic indiscipline
5. Failure: It is lack of success in doing achieving something.investigation into academic indiscipline
6. Indiscipline: Failure to fulfill promise.
7. Rudimentary: Means basic clearing with only the most basic matters and ideas.investigation into academic indiscipline
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.