THE EFFECTIVENESS OF PERSONAL SELLING STRATEGIES IN THE MARKETING PERFORMANCE OF COSMETICS (A CASE STUDY OF BALANCE COSMETICS ENUGU)
This research work is centered on the effectiveness of personal selling in the marketing of cosmetic. It is necessitated by managerial uncertainty with regard to the cause of the aforementioned reduction is sales volumes and profitability in recent times. This managerial indecision created room for its suspicion as to whether the sales force was effective or not with a special reference on Bianca Cosmetics Company.
The data for the study were collected using questionnaires and oral interviews; and the researcher made the following findings.
- The radio of sales expense to sales volume is not high.
- The radio of sales call to sales volume is high.
- Most sales call normally results into sales.
- The management of Bianca Cosmetics use straight salary plan as compensation.
- The service of both polytechnic and university graduate were used carrying out their sales task of the organization.
- Personal selling has made positive impact on the profit returns of the company.
- It was discovered the customers are satisfied with the marketing effort of Bianca cosmetics.
- It was discovered that personal selling is of great benefit to customers.
- The customers believe that the sales people are well trained to carry out the marketing task.
- It was discovered that the management of Bianca cosmetic normally grant its customers some credit facilities.
- It was discovered that the price of Bianca product is commensurate with its quality.
Based on the findings, the researcher made the following recommendations.
- Management should indulge in consumer’s research.
- Management of Bianca cosmetics should endeavour to establish market intelligence department.
- The relevance of effective sales force in the marketing of cosmetics cannot be over emphasized.
- Sales force should improve on their after sales services.
- Management of Bianca cosmetics should once in a while organize sales promotional and public relation activities for their sales force.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Title page – – – – – – – i
Dedication – – – – – – – ii
Acknowledgement – – – – – – iii
Abstract – – – – – – – – iv
Table of contents – – – – – – v
- Introduction – – – – – – 1-3
- Background of the study – – – – 3-5
- Statement of problem – – – – 5
- Objective of the study – – – – 6-7
- Research questions – – – – – 7
- Significance of the study – – – – 7-8
- Scope of the study – – – – – 8-9
- Limitation of the study – – – – 9-10
- Definition of terms – – – – – 10-11
2.0 L literature review – – – – – 12
2.1 Introduction – – – – – – 12-15
2.2 the functions of personal selling in a firm’s over all marketing effort – – – – – – 15-16
2.3 personal selling strategies – – – – 16-21
- Research methodology – – – – 22
- Introduction – – – – – – 22
- Research design – – – – – 22
- Sources/methods of data collection – – 23
- Population and sample size – – – 24
- Sample technique – – – – – 27
- Validity and reliability of measuring instrument 27
- Method of data analysis – – — – 28
- Presentation and analysis of data – – 29
- Introduction – – – – – 29
- Presentation of data – – – – 30-34
- Analysis of data – – – – – 34-39
- Interpretation of result(s) – – – 39-44
- Summary conclusion and recommendation 45
- introduction – – – – – – 46
- summary of findings – – – –
- conclusion – – – – – – 47
- Recommendations – – – – – 48
References – – – – – 59
Appendix – – – – – 52
Questionnaire – – – – – 53-55
According the L.A Rogers (1980) personal selling has become one of the vital promotional tools in marketing. He further buttressed the above proposition by stipulating that after all the theorists planners must have had their moment and the predicament associated must production finance and labour have been resolved their some one has go out and knock at some ones door and sell.
This is revelation is apparently acceptable because a product can not be produced at Enugu and is not available in place like Lagos where such product is highly needed.
This is significance behind the nation of sales contention that they should investigate into the needs of consumers as well as filling them with satisafction and maximize profit objectives. A critical analysis of the above statement high lights the importance of the effectiveness of personal selling on the marketing high grade but has not utility until it gets to the hands of prospect buyers and the most appropriate route for passing products form manufacturing are to hands of potential buyers happens to be through personal selling.
Personal selling is dynamic flexible and volatile. Traditionally it is mainly associated with commercial transaction which has passed through distinct eras that are characterized as the eras of the early traders exist in most ancient cities some of these earliest states based the primary portion of their economics on the trading with communities traders typically have the ownership of the goods being immediate families. At times they perform their marketing functions like transportation and storage in addition selling obligations.
The American preddlers of the colorial ear enable them sell their goods to the then settlers most of these settler were immigrants who views their respective jobs as one of the available means of getting a fresh start in a new country professional selling started shortly after the world war. under this seen the economy switched form the previous situation of sellers market to that of buyers market in which goods were plentiful in supply. Due to the industrial revolution of the 17th century which encourage the birth of a number of new industries of which cosmetic industries were among.
The industries had varieties of product with moderate qualities. As at the said era many industries operated under the philosophy that the customers will buy any product provide it can be supplied” goods had to be marketed mainly for the facts that consumers nor having choice and the selling adopted a radical change to reject this new seen.
1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY
Bianca Cosmetic Industry is located at No 1 Temple Avenue here in Enugu it was established in 1996 by Mrs. Bianca Odinaka Ojukwu (The managing direct) or she was a native of Ngwa in Enugu state she was married to his Excellency Ikemba Odumegmu Ojukwu form Nnewi with children, she was the first beauty pageant she started as a small scale business and later developed into a distributor. Here products, are now distributed to places, like Lagos,Abuja, port Harcourt etc.