AN APPRAISAL OF PROMOTIONAL STRATEGIES OF BARBING SALONS IN ENUGU METROPOLIS (A CASE STUDY OF TOP CLASS BARBING SALON AWKUNANAW ENUGU. A RESEARCH PROJECT MATERIAL ON MARKETING
The study focused on an Appraisal of Promotional Strategies of Barbing Salons in Enugu Metropolis with particular note on Top Class Barbing Salon with Enugu.
The objectives of the study are:
· To evaluate the promotional strategies adopted by Top Class Barbing Salon in order to determine these profitability.
· To determine the impact of public relations adopted by Top Class Barbing Salon in customers patronage.
· To determine if advertising strategies adopted by Top Class Barbing Salon in Enugu metropolis create customer’s awareness of their services. Based on these four hypotheses was formulated each focusing on the impact of a specific promotion.
Data were sourced from two principle sources primary and secondary data. Extensive literature review on textbooks, Journals, and other related materials were carried out. The population includes management and relevant staff and customers of Top Class Barbing Salon within Enugu metropolis.
Data collected were presented analysed and interpreted using table, frequencies and percentages while the hypotheses were tested using chi-square.
Based on the analysis. The following findings were made. That barbing salon including the case organization are yet to fully appreciate the importance of designing an optimal combination of promotional mix to enhance it’s performance.
That public relation impacts positively on customers patronage and billboards were poorly designed and not strategically located.
In view of above findings, the following recommendations were made
– Apart from the use of billboards advertising in radio and newspapers should be used. The advertising message should be based on quality of service offered, availability and moderate charges.
– Other promotional activities like sales promotion, public relations, publicity and personal selling should be adequately blended for improved performance. The researcher opined that if the recommendations were judiciously implemented the case organization should be able to serve their customer better with profit.
1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY
Ebue (1990 : 1) stated that if you produce the best product, package it brilliantly, price it right distribute it well and position it to best meet the needs of customer you must have wanted all the marketing skills if nobody knows you have done the things, and you customer and prospects can only know through promotional activities.
Adirika E, Ebue B. and Nnolim P. (2996 : 35) see promotion as the component used by the organization to inform, educate and persuade the market regarding the company’s offerings, advertising, personal selling, sale promotion, publicity and public relations are the major variables of promotion.
Promotion is a vital ingredient of survival and development, without adequate promotion products may not sell when they sell their continuity is in doubt. The art and science of marketing promotion, which comprises advertising, personal selling, sales promotion, public relations and direct marketing is often associated with glamour and flamboyance. Infact most of the budget of some companies is spent on promotions because of the need to survive in the competitive marketing environment.