ADMINISTRATIVE MOTIVATION AND PERFORMANCE IN ECONOMIC AND FINANCIAL CRIME COMMISSION (EFCC)
1.0 Background of the Study
For any public service or organization to get things done, human beings must be used. In order to take full advantage of their skills and expertise as well as getting the best from human beings, something must be done to energies them create the drive needed for them to exert their energy. This perhaps represent the spare of motivation thus, workers must be motivated to achieve organizational goals, to do this, the creation of the enabling motives is very necessary. It is important to distinguish between job satisfaction and motivation, which the later refers to drive and effort to satisfy a goal, the former reference to the contentment experienced when a goal is achieved. Thus, is drive towards a purpose, the other is a effect accomplishing a purpose.
The starting point in the study of motivation on work performance in public service is the provision of answer to the question why in the behaviour patterns of individuals, why do others are lazy, providing answers to those questions would perhaps reveals what motivation and performance is about.
Motivation an act or process of furnishing with an incentive or inducement of action. “No doubt most managers would be gratified to see that their employees are motivated to act. However, the expert says that nobody can motivate somebody else. So, the operative words here are “incentives and inducement to action”. How do we “furnish” this incentive? A manager can provide the environment and other factors that will enable people to become motivated is basic to establishing and maintain effective relationship with others. In facts, it is absolutely fundamental to practice of management. There are of getting done through others.
Employee motivation and performance are the key factors in moving a small business forward, managers and supervisors know that position motivation leads to better performance and higher productivity. Employees who are well motivated performed better and add value to a small business.
Benefit as motivators can boost job pay raise, bounds, stock option and profit sharing as example of positive motivation. These motivator’s rewards employees for doing their job, and doing it well and with enthusiasm, things like money, a good office environment and job security can help people from becoming less motivated, but they usually help people to become more motivated.
- Statement of Problem
The problems is that over the years public service have refused to pay close attention to motivation as a significant means of achieving organizational goals and objectives. That is why employees cannot perform willingly and effectively. This is why some public service in Nigeria including, Economic and Financial Crime Commission (EFCC) cannot achieve adequate obligation. That is why this research will investigate employee’s performance and motivation towards productivity in public service.
- Objective of the Study
- It energizes, intensifies, directs and brings about persistence of effort toward attaining a goal.
- It leads to improvement in the performance of task by workers in an organization.
- It brings about opportunities for personal growth and development amongst employees as to be able to react or showcase their greatest potentials.
- Motivation is the opportunity given to employee to participate in management decision making leads to self-esteem development.
- Motivated employees help organization to survive, it help employees to be more pro-active and productive.
1.3 Significance of the Study
Motivation is a vital encouragement as well as leadership function. The understanding of the concept of motivation given performance would do organization good. This would help them know that human resources is the most important assets of management that must be handle with care if organization goal must be achieve. So, it is the intention of this study to expose those factors that has militated against the attainment of a properly motivated workforce by employers of labour in the public sector.
- This work will serve first as a good reference material for younger generation of scholars.
- It will increase the number of available literature in this area.
- This public agencies will benefit a lot on motivational strategies for improvement and increased productivity.
- It will expose the factors militating against the attainment of a properly motivated workforce.
1.4 Research Hypothesis
In a research of this nature, there is need to raise some question or have working statement that will provide guideline to the unbiased presentation of literature review and data collection. In order to carry out this research successfully, the following null (Ho) hypotheses have been developed and will be test.
- Ho: There is no significant difference in performance of Nigerian workers whether they are motivated or not.
Hi: There is significant different in performance of Nigerian workers when they are motivated.
- Ho: Motivation factors like promotion, training and position cannot motivate Nigerian workers in the civil service.
Hi: Motivation factors like promotion, training and position can motivate Nigerian workers in the civil service.
- Ho: There is no environmental society influence of attitude of the Nigerian workers
Hi: There is environmental society influence of attitude of the Nigerian workers
1.5 Research Questions
- Is there any significant difference in performance of Nigerian workers when they are motivated?
- Can motivation factors like promotion, training and position motivate Nigerian workers in the civil service?
- Is there any environmental society influence in the attitude of the Nigerian workers?
- Is motivation seen as an apparatus for performance and a boost for productivity in Nigerian civil service?
1.6 Scope/Delimitation of the Study
The study is limited only to the area of administrative motivation and performance in Economic and Financial Crime Commission (EFCC). This is due to the state of the economy, the high cost of materials, transportation and other related factors that may in one or the other hinder a successful wider area of research coverage.
1.7 Limitation of the Study
In this study and the course of putting this study together, the researcher encounters numerous constraints in the course of these findings. One of the constraints includes:
Finance: It is obvious known that majority of student are depending from one source or the other, however since money is anything that is generally accepted as a medium of exchange for settlement have not enough money to purchase textbooks that will contain proper and necessary information needed by the researcher pertaining to the area of study.
Time Factor: Significantly the time space to carry out this research was short, coupled with the semester’s activities that constraint the ease of the work.
1.8 Definition of Terms, Abbreviation and Acronyms
Motivation: Motivation is a process that starts with a physiological or psychological deficiency or need that activates a behaviour or a drive that is aimed at a goal or incentive – (Luthans, 1998).
Performance: Means the proficiency in accomplishing task in relation to the standard or average time.
Administration Motivation Strategies: Means the method adopted by public administrator to make workers to perform effectively and efficiently.
Public Service: Means the government institutions established to provide intangible good and services to the citizenry at little or no cost.
Goal: Goal is a desired result an organization or person, plan and commits to achieve a personal or organizational desired and point.