THE EFFECT OF NEPOTISM ON THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS IN NIGERIA PUBLIC SERVICE
BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Nepotism is a form of discrimination in which family members or friends are hired for reason that do not necessary have anything to with their experience, knowledge or skills. It also occurs more frequently in family small business or a non profitable organization small company, performing arts, than public sector position. In addition to outright recruitment of friends for jobs they are incapable of performing well. Another factor of nepotism is to create job spear that are precisely toward to the qualification of only one person. Here we are going to examine the effect of nepotism on the recruitment process in Nigeria which special references to Akwa Ibom State Civil Service commission. The recruitment process and job performance in Akwa Ibom State civil service commission started from 1987 when Akwa Ibom State governor, a sole administrator (Arch) Obong Victor Attah appointed board of director, who foresees the affairs of the organization, workers were recruited based on ideas regarding the activities and responsibilities required in the organization. Workers were recruited especially labourers for adequate function of the organization. Inexperience worker were recruited which lead to poor performance of the organization at the beginning. This recruitment process aimed at providing job for the jobless.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The study is to investigate recruitment pattern and job performance in Akwa Ibom State Civil service especially recruitment of experience workers necessary for the achievement of organizational objectives. This has been identified as one of the major problems facing Akwa Ibom State civil Service Commission. When recruitment policy is not strictly adopted due to political influence, corruption, ethnicity, unsuitable candidate here by solving the seed of inefficiency, this brings about poor works attitudes and channel of communication in Akwa Ibom State Civil Service owing to lack of administrative skill to achieved organizational objectives. Therefore, this study sets to investigate why Akwa Ibom State civil Service Commission fails in their statutory function thereby recruiting inexperience into the Akwa Ibom State Ministries.
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The general objective of this study is to create insight into recruitment and how it affects job performance in the personnel.
- To ascertain why Nepotism should be completely neglected in recruitment of workers in the state civil services.
- To also analyzes AC recruitment pattern in AC state and how it’s acceptable by the people responsible.
- To identify the relevance of recruitment in Akwa Ibom State, patterns of recruitment and how it affect the job performances in the state civil services.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
- What is Nepotism?
- How does this affect the recruitment of Nepotism in Akwa Ibom State Services?
- What are the factors contributing to Nepotism in Akwa Ibom State Civil Service?
- What is AC recruitment pattern in Akwa Ibom State Civil Service?
1.5 RESEARCH HYPOTHESIS
Ho: There is significant relationship between Nepotism and recruitment process in Akwa Ibom State Civil Service.
Hi: There is no significant relationship between Nepotism and recruitment process in Akwa Ibom State Civil Service.
1.6 SIGNIFICANNCE OF THE STUDY
The research of this nature will help whole public services in Nigeria as a whole especially, Akwa Ibom State Civil Service to adopt the best recruitment policy which will enhance efficiency and job performance in their organization. This research work will also benefit administrators, consultant agencies, Commission etc for adopting the best recruitment process/method which will help them for recruiting the best caliber of people that will increase productivity in their different organization.
1.7 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The scope of the study is covers to the recruitment at job performance in Akwa Ibom State Civil Service headquarter Uyo from 1987 when the organization was established.
1.8 DEFINITION OF TERMS
The terms used in this study have unique meaning that would be subjected to different interpretations by different researchers of this project report are defined as follows:
- Recruitment: Recruitment is the process of searching for prospective employees and stimulating then to apply for jobs in the organization.
- Job Performance: It entails the way the employees actually performs the job, task responsibilities given to him and the result of the effects in achieving an overall corporate objectives of the organization.
- Nepotism: Is a form of discrimination in which family members or friends are hired for reason that does not necessarily have anything to do with their experience, knowledge or skills.
sinequan cheap says
I precisely had to say thanks all over again. I’m not certain the things I could possibly have created in the absence of the actual creative ideas discussed by you concerning such concern. It absolutely was a real depressing concern for me personally, but considering a new professional fashion you handled it forced me to cry for delight. I’m grateful for the assistance and as well , expect you comprehend what a powerful job that you are carrying out educating men and women by way of a web site. I am certain you’ve never come across all of us.
683760 354110Hiya! Fantastic weblog! I happen to be a every day visitor to your website (somewhat more like addict ) of this web site. Just wanted to say I appreciate your blogs and am seeking forward for more to come! 234550