IMPACT OF FEDERAL CHARACTER PRINCIPLES ON THE PRODUCTIVITY OF NIGERIA PUBLIC SERVICES (A CASE STUDY OF MINISTRY OF WORKS AND HOUSING IMO STATE)
The introduction of federal character is a tacit acceptance by the Nigeria people and government to achieve its objective. The principle of federal character is a deliberate attempt to ensure that representatives in reflect the diversity of the people that constitute the country or a state and a particular area.
The composition of the government of federation or any of its agencies and the conducts of its affairs shall be carried out in such manner as to reflect the federal character of Nigeria and the need to promote national unity and to command national loyalty thereby ensuring that there shall be no predominance of person from a few states or from a few ethnic or sectarian groups in that government or in any of its agencies.
The composition of the government of a state, a local government, or any of their agencies shall be carried out in such manner as to recognize the diversity of the people within its area of authority and the need to promote a sense of belonging and loyalty among all people of the Federation.
Therefore introduction of federal character system was only meant to solve the problem of the ethnic wars, create harmonious relationship for people from different ethnicity and culture.
1.2 Statement of the Problem
The perennial problem of imbalance in our national life had revolved around other sectors of the economy, the immediate problem which prompted the research to investigate on is, the issues relating to the allocation of educationally based position among the federating units relates to federal character principle which means that all the geo-political zones will be given equal chance for the appointment and output efficiency as it relates to observation of federal character principle.
In the related development, there have been discriminatory attitudes on many federal institutions in terms of employment into the Nigerian civil service as there are specific members of candidates to be taken from each state. There is also a problem of quota system in the area of employment into federal civil service, which as introduced mediocrity in the service.
Consequently, there has been gross misconduct in the area of employment due to sectional consciences and nepotism from those in authority in the ministries and parastatals. Federal institutions seem to recruit on nepotism and favoritism without minding the effect of such practices to the productivity, efficiency of service delivery and quality of output to the nation. Even when the federal character principle is observed, the institution will not consider efficiency of the candidate hence they are relatives and will not follow the due process thereby cutting corners in the recruitment exercise. All these problems have been a hydra-headed challenge to the federal character commission.
1.3 Objective of the Study
The following are the objective of this study.
- To examine the relationship between federal character and productivity of Nigeria public service.
- To investigate whether certain standard are maintained in the course of recruitment on federal character basis in the country’s civil service, precisely ministry of works and housing Imo state.
- To determine the factors militating against productivity in the Nigeria public service.
- To study the condition of public authorities, semi-government agencies and institutions in the public sector to ensure fair and effective representation of all the states.
- To x-ray the problem of inefficiency in the Nigeria public service as well as suggest ways of improving the performance of public agencies in the delivery of socio-economic and welfare service and effective execution of government action plans.
1.4 Research Questions
- What is the relationship between federal character and productivity of Nigeria public service?
- How does policy and programmes of the government services as strategies to tackle ineffective productivity in public service?
iii. To what extend to the how productivity affect public service in Nigeria?
- What are the necessary steps taken by the government of Nigeria to prevent ineffective productivity on public service?
- To what extend has the federal character principle impacted on productivity on Nigeria public service?
- What are the factors militating against productivity in the Nigeria public service
1.5 Statement of hypothesis