THE IMPACT OF LEADERSHIP STYLE ON EFFECTIVE PUBLIC SERVICE DELIVERY
(A CASE STUDY OF CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION UYO, AKS)
TABLE OF CONTENT
Certification – – – – – – – – i
Dedication – – – – – – – – ii
Acknowledgement – – – – – – – iii
Abstract – – – – – – – – iv
Table of Content – – – – – – – v
- Introduction – – – – – – – 1
- Background of the Study – – – – – 3
- Statement of the Problem – – – – – 6
- Objective of the Study – – – – – – 7
- Research Questions – – – – – – 8
- Research Hypothesis – – – – – – 9
- Significant of the Study – – – – – 10
- Scope of the Study – – – – – 12
- Limitation of the Study – – – – – 12
- Definition of Terms – – – – – 13
CHAPTER TWO: REVIEW OF RELATED LITERATURE
- Introduction – – – – – – 15
- Concepts of Leadership – – – – – 16
- Leadership Styles and Concept – – – – 18
- Leadership Theories – – – – – – 20
- Trait Theory of Leadership – – – 22
- Behavioural Theory of Leadership – – – 23
- Situation/Contingency Theory of Leadership – 24
- Recent Approaches to Leadership – – – 25
- Laissez-faire Style – – – – – 25
- Transactional Style – – – – – – 27
- Transaction Style – – – – – – 28
- Concept of Public Service – – – 29
- Conceptual and Theoretical Analysis – – – 33
CHAPTER THREE: RESEARCH METHODS
- Introduction – – – – – – 35
- Area of the Study – – – – – 35
- Population of the Study – – – – – 36
- Sample Determination and Sample Techniques – 36
- Source of Data – – – – – – 36
- Method of Data Collection – – – – 37
- Data Presentation and Analysis – – – – 37
CHAPTER FOUR: PRESENTATION AND ANALYSIS OF DATA
- Introduction – – – – – – 39
- Data Analysis and Results – – – – – 39
- Test of Hypothesis – – – – 42
- Discussion of Finding – – – – – 49
CHAPTER FIVE: SUMMARY, CONCLUSION AND RECOMMENDATION
- Introduction – – – – – – – 51
- Summary – – – – – – – – 51
- Conclusion – – – – – – – 52
- Recommendation – – – – 53
It is considered that a company’s success is due to organizational performance employee job satisfaction and employee effective leadership styles are due to promote standards of excellence in the professional development of the members of the organization.
Effective leadership also involves motivation, management, inspiration, remuneration and analytical skills. When all these are present, the organization record increased employee satisfaction that positively influences the productivity and the profiles. The positive effect of leadership on organizational performance was measured by some researchers through human resources (turnover rate and job performance, organizational effectiveness) cost and quality and financial performance.
To increase the organizational performance a leader must have the ability to promote creativity and innovation, stimulate the subordinate to challenge their own value system and improve their individual performance.
A number of studies on leadership styles suggest that the practice of the transformational leadership have a positive impact on the organizational performance. Transformational leadership is characterized by positive, optimistic and trustful leader who are emotionally intelligent, encourage team work, set high expectations and promote innovation.
Transformational leaders change their organization’s culture by inspiring a sense of mission and purpose about the importance of the groups work and stimulating new ways of thinking and problem solving. They inspire the individuals within the organization to achieve high performance.
- Background of the Study
Public service delivery is a comprehensive concept in the context of governance. Public service delivery is the result of the intention decision of government and government institutions and the actions undertaken and decision made by people employed in government institution. Public service delivery has directly if it is delivered to people in the form of basic service such as education, health and water and sanitation which contribute to promoting human development. Public service delivery also provides inputs in to the growth process. Growth is necessary condition for human development to be attained. Effective public service that corresponds to the customers desires needs and expectations. Presently, civil service commission score law in service delivery. According to the source civil service systematic consultation with customers on how to improve its service to serve them better. The requirements of the access principles for effective public service delivery explain that all citizens should have equal access to the service to which they are entitled. The openness and transparency principles has it that citizens should be told how national and provincial (state, local governments) departments are run, how much they cost and who is in charge.
The leadership style in Akwa Ibom State civil service commission is participative. The style emphasize that management offers guideline input from individual staff members. The commission management resumes the right to make final decision but encourage feedback ideas and suggestions from all employees. Service is a system that promotes something needed to the public.
The civil service evolved as the bedrock of the executive arm of government in Akwa Ibom State like every other state, the main implementation and execution of the policies decided on by the legislature or those appointed by the legislature to carry on the executive work of government.
Efficiency is concerned with ability to work well without wasting time and resources, it is concern with measuring the ability of inputs to produce output, effect and result, expenditure and income, cost and the resulting pleasure. As relating to civil service efficiency is a bias against waste unnecessary bureaucratic and corruption. Service delivery is an imperative aspect of making sure that the likes of the people are improved. The impact of leadership is making sure that service delivery is accelerated the observation is that communities are not satisfied with the service delivery by government departments.
Service delivery is a tremendous challenge in the public service and leadership and management are often expected to contribute in its realization. The motivation to deliver service should not only be to satisfy goals of the strategy plans but to improve the likes of customers.
It is therefore imperative to capacitate the leadership of government departments with skill in order to effectively and efficiently realize service delivery.
- Statement of Problem
Many organizations in Nigeria for instance, Akwa Ibom State Civil Service Commission is faced with a myriad of challenges relating to poor human capital management. The challenges range from defective recruitment methods, recruitment is wrong personnel to certain position of responsibilities assignment range from defective recruitment methods, recruitment of wrong personal to certain positions of responsibilities, assignment of the right jobs to wrong and unqualified/non professionals in such areas of assignment thereby putting a round peg in a square hole, thus wasting both financial and non – financial resources of the organization.
Where the human capital is not well managed organizations are likely confronted with the difficulty in the develop personnel. This will subsequently lead to ineffectiveness and inefficiency public service delivery.
Other problems are the inability to provide realist projections and the inability to utilize resources effectively and are evident in public sector where inefficiency and effectiveness management processes.
- Objective of the study
The main objective of this study is the impact of leadership style on effective public service delivery.
- To identify leadership style in Akwa Ibom State Civil Service Commission.
- To determine the extent to which low productivity is the result of defective leadership style in Civil Service Commission.
- To ascertain the extent of cooperate failure associated with a given leadership.
- To find out the leadership style most appropriate for Civil Service administration.
- To identify the factors that is responsible for workers low performance in the selected area of study.
- Research Questions
The following research questions were used to guide the study
- What kind of leadership style is adopted by the Civil Service Commission for the effective public service delivery?
- What is the effect of the laissez – faire leadership style on effective public service delivery?
- What is the effect of the transactional leadership style on effective public service delivery?
- What is the effect of the transformation leadership style on effective public service delivery?
- What of these leadership styles helps to motivate workers and has clarity towards customer’s need and preference?
- Research Hypothesis
The current study examines the impact of leadership style of effective public service in Akwa Ibom State Civil Service Commission employing the following hypothesis.
- There is no significant relationship between the impact of leadership style on productivity of Akwa Ibom State Civil Service Commission.
- There is significant relationship between the impact of leadership style and the team effectiveness of the Akwa Ibom State Civil Service.
- There is no significant relationship between the leadership style and performance to the effective public service delivery.
- There is significant relationship between the leadership style and performance to the effective public service delivery.
- Significance of the Study
The essence of leadership style in every organization is to influence its employees degree of impact on the employee’s performance leadership style has varied in degree of impact on employee’s performance.
This study is significant in that it will possibly improve service delivery in the problem with service delivery is that it is moving at a snail’s space and the communities are losing patients with Civil Servants. Employees need to realize the importance of delivering service to the communities in their various departments it would also provide an insight to leader in their various departments as to whether their leadership is hindering or enhancing acceleration of service delivery. The leadership should realize that they have a role to play in ensuring the service delivery is accelerated. To be able to do that it is important for the leadership to know the leadership style they are using. The expectations of the community and that of the employees when the leadership knows the impact they have on service delivery. It will definitely improve the delivery of services to the community at large. The knowledge and skills that the leadership have can influence positively to service delivery if use in the right manner.
Also the mentioned research study reveals that they laid much emphasis on statistical Indies of the respondents while they failed to imply the method of ascertained first hand result from the group in study. Against the aforementioned this deficiencies of studies carried out.
The study is relevant in time as it will be instrumental to organization to encourage administration in Nigeria as a direct outcome of the research evaluation outing from this work. It will be of great benefit to the Nigeria public and private civil service, trade unions and industrial relations practitioners as a platform for further intellectual findings.
- Scope of the Study
The scope of this study will be limited to the effect of leadership style on the effective public service delivery in the Akwa Ibom Civil Service Commission, Uyo. The research work will focus mainly on managers and employers relations and how it affects the performance of the workers. The study also aims at using Civil Service Commission, Uyo for sampling of opinions. The field survey shall be conducted in Civil Service Commission.
- Limitation of the Study
A few limitations were encountered during the cause of study due to time and financial constraints, this research basically a pilot study has its scope of analysis limited to the government owned agency. The respondents viewed the effort of the researcher with suspicion especially with the high questionnaire was accepted grudgingly.
Similarly, there were limitations arising from the general apathy by the management and staff of these institutions to give out sensitive information that will be useful to the researchers for fear of unwanted publicity and exposure.
- Definition of Terms
Leadership: It is an act of having influence on the activities of an organized group in its attempt to see and achieve its goals.
Leadership Frames: Leadership frames are view in the four frames concerning their leadership styles.
The Structural Frame: It emphasizes rationality efficiency structure and policies
The Human Resource Frame: It is focused on the interaction between individual and organization needs.
The Political Frame: It deals with conflict among different group and interest for scarce resources.
The Symbolic Frame: It pay diligent attention to myth, stories, ceremony actual meaning and other symbolic forms.
Public Service Delivery: This is a comprehensive concept in the contest of governance public service delivery is the result of the intentions decision of government and government institution and the action undertaken and decision made by people employed in government institution.
Effective Public Service Delivery: