IMPACT OF PERFORMANCE EVALUATION ON WORKERS PRODUCTIVITY A CASE STUDY OF UNION BANK PLC
- BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Performance evaluation is that crucial management function that provides feedback on how effective subordinate, managers, and superiors have carried out their responsibilities. It makes corrective action for the achievement of organizational objectives and strategies have been used in organization. These depend on the supervisory officers to take such decision. It is important that members of the organization should know exactly what is expected of them, and the yard stick by which their performance and results will be measured. A formalized and systemic evaluation scheme will enable a regular assessment of individuals’ performance, highlight potential and identify training and development need. The Oxford English Dictionary defined performance as the accomplishment, execution, carrying out, working out of anything ordered or undertaken. This states that performance is all about doing work as well as about the results achievement.
Performance is the measurement of results. Benaclin etal (2009) seen performance as the outcomes of work, because they provide strongest linkage to strategic goals of organization, customer satisfaction and economic contribution performance evaluation has been defined by Mathis and Jackson in (2007) as the process of determining how well the workers do their Jobs compared to a set up standard and communicating that information to the workers.
This definition stated that evaluation should be secrete. The information could motivate those who are not doing well to increase their efforts or take corrective measures.
Hall and Goodale (2006) have seen performance evaluation as the process through which the organization assesses the quality of the work of its workers and attempts to improve the performance of the organization as a whole. A firm has a duty to establish a successful evaluation scheme and develop the abilities of the workers using the specified rating scales method proper attention need to be given a number of important matters concerning its introduction and implementation. Fetcher (2011) suggests that approaches to performance evaluation need to change in line with organizational changes such as delays and the introduction of competency and total quality management.
- STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
In organizations, the effectiveness of any evaluation depends heavily on the quality and reliability of assessment authorities. But where there are variation in the consistency of reporting standards it can easily lead to a feeding of dissatisfaction and injustice. Lack of qualified manpower is mainly the constraint, due to Frequent movement of workers from one schedule of duty to the other, misallocation of the expertise, indiscipline and lack of dedication to work may contribute to the decrease in the workers productivity.
Lack of participative management, workers are known to have worked to defeat on otherwise good decision for lack of involvement. Important decision are makes in seduction by people who have no intimate knowledge of the problem on hand with characteristic detachment from workers such decision have minimal change success and fail for lack of commitment. Recognition of the path-goal framework which state that, a leaders behaviour contingent to the her subordinates.
- PURPOSE OF STUDY
The purpose of study are as follow
- To determine the factors that effects employee motivation.
- To find out how performance evaluation of workers can influence the productivity of organization
- To identify if there is any significant relationship between performance evaluation and workers productivity
- To examine the factors that causes the poor performance evaluation that would lead to decrease in workers productivity.
- To find out how rating of workers not job aid in performance evaluation in an organization.
- To ascertain the extent by which motivation affect employees productivity.
- RESEARCH QUESTION
Following is a list of questions that will attempt to answer through my research.
- What are the factors that affects employee motivation?
- Dose performance evaluation of workers influences the productivity of organization?
- Is there any relationship between performance evaluation and worker productivity?
- What are the factors that cause the poor performance evaluation that would lead to decrease in workers productivity?
- To what extent dose motivation affect employees?
- How are the rating given to workers during performance evaluation in an organization
- How could it be ascertained that a workers needs to be motivated in an organization?
- What are the affects of performance evaluation in an organization?
- RESEARCH HYPOTHESIS
For the purpose of achieving the target of the research work the following hypothesis were formulate. Null Hypothesis is Ho while Alternative hypothesis is HI
(A) Ho – There is no significant relationship between performance evaluation and worker productivity.
HI – There is significant relationship between performance evaluation and worker productivity
(B) Ho – There is no factors that cause the poor performance evaluation that would lead to decrease in workers productivity.
HI – There if factors that cause the poor performance evaluation that would lead to decrease in workers productivity
- SCOPE OF THE STUDY
This study performance evaluation are systematic ways of measuring, reviewing and analyzing employee performance over a given period of time and using the informance gathered to plan for the employee’s future with the organization. This periodical, impartial feedback is used to judge employee effectiveness as well as provide necessary development and training to improve the employee’s contributions to the organization’s goals.