THE IMPACT OF MANAGERIAL OFFICERS IN EFFECTIVE DELIVERY OF SERVICE IN PUBLIC SECTORS IN NIGERIA.(A CASE STUDY OF AKWA IBOM STATE CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION)
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
The word administration is derived from the latin word ‘ad’ and ‘ministiare’ which means to serve. Administration may be defined as “group activities which involve cooperation and coordination for the purpose of achieving desired goals or objectives”.
Administration according to Sharma and Sadana (2009) generally involves cooperative efforts by a number of people to achieve some purpose. Bhagwan and Bhushan (2010) conceive administration as along and slightly pompous work, but it has a humble meaning, for it means to care for or to look after people, to manage affairs.
Public on the other hand is something which belongs to the whole community; it belong to the generality of people; it belongs to everybody. Public administration therefore refers to the organization and management of meri and materials to achieve the purpose of government. Having said that, an managerial officer therefore, may be described as trained personnel who use his managerial know-how to coordinate efforts to carry out public policies in order to achieve organizational goals.was a result of this that Woodrow Wilson in 1887, when he was a professor of political science at YALE in U.S.A, stressed the need of studying the managerial institution of government.
In the final analysis, the writer wishes to point out aptly that an managerial officer has a vital impact to play in effective delivery of service in public organizations.
- 1.2 STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
Despite the good intentions of managerial officers in effective service delivery, yet, there are some problems militating against the smooth attainment of its goals which include:
The influence of a political class has gone a long way to slow down the work of managerial officer.
Ecological factor (Environment) has also influence the work of the managerial officer. For instance, if the work environment is not peaceful, but full of rancor, the managerial officer might find it difficult to do his work effectively.
Inadequate finance can also go a long way in slowing down the effective delivery of service of managerial officer. As it is known, money is bedrock of any administration, and inadequate managerial skills, all of these rendered the quality and quantity of services provided by the managerial officers inefficient and ineffective.4 .This study sought to examine the contributions of different managerial officers in the efficiency of public services in Nigeria, and the different ways managerial officers can help public service in Nigeria to achieve their organizational goals effectively and efficiently.
1.3 OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
The objectives of the study embrace the following:
- To erase the mis-conception that any person of intelligence could do managerial work without preparation and adequate training.
- To erase the mis-conception that an managerial officer has little or no impact to play in actualizing organizational goals.
- To find out how managerial officer can contribute to the effective delivery of serviceof public organization in Nigeria effectively.
- To erase the mis-conception that administration is not a serious profession.
- To make recommendations that will enhance effective delivery of servicein Akwa Ibom State Civil Service Commission based on the findings.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
The following questions have been formulated to act as a guide so as to achieve the objectives of this study.
- Is there any significant relationship between managerial officers and effective attainment of organizational goals?
- How does the managerial officer contribute to the effective delivery of servicein the public sectors in Nigeria?
- Does ecological factor (environment) have any adverse effect on the work of managerial officers?
- Why is an managerial officer important in an organization?
- What are the impacts of the managerial officers in public organization?
- 1.5 RESEARCH HYPOTHESIS
For the purpose of this study, three hypotheses have been formulated as follows:
- H0 : There is no significant relationship between the managerial officer and attainment of organizational goals.
H1 : There is significant relationship between the managerial officer and attainment of organizational goals.
- H0 : Managerial officer does not contribute to the effective delivery of servicein public sectors in 6
H1 : : Managerial officer contribute to the effective delivery of servicein public sectors in Nigeria.
- H0 : The impact of managerial officer are not a pre-requisite to the achievement of public organizational goals.
- H1 : The impact of managerial officer are a pre-requisite to the achievement of public organizational goals.
- 1.6 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The researcher hopes that this research will be very useful to both public and private organizations in Nigeria.
It is also meant to fulfill the academic requirement for the award of higher National Diploma.
To remind management that managerial officer plays a vital impact in effective delivery of serviceof public service in Nigeria.
To establish in the mind of the readers that an efficient administration is achieved through preparation or adequate training of the vastness of this field.
To encourage managerial officers to use their managerial skills to actualize organizational goals.
To remind the management of Akwa Ibom State civil service commission that the place of managerial officers should not be undervalue, they should be given a high premium if effective delivery of service is to be achieved in public sectors in Nigeria.
Finally, the study will be helpful in solving some of the managerial problems.
- 1.7 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The research covers Akwa Ibom State civil service commission, Uyo. Using workers from selected department such as:
- General Managerial department
- Finance department
- Works department
- Personnel department.
The make attempt to assess the impact of Managerial Officers in Public Organization with particular interest on effective service delivery.
1.8 LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
During the writing of this project, the researcher was face with some problems and prominent among them were:
Firstly, financial inadequacies almost hinder my research work. The said financial problem also delayed the typing and binding of my project.
Secondly, some of the respondents could not return the questionnaire on time. However, this problem did not in any way lower the standard of the work.
- 1.9 DEFINITION OF TERMS
- MANAGERIAL OFFICER: An managerial officer is trained personnel that has obtained a bachelor degree in administration and is working in public organizations. His main duty is to coordinate men/material to achieve stated organizational objectives.
EFFECTIVENESS: Is the capability of producing a desired result. It can also be defined as the way of doing the right things. It constantly measures if the actual output meets the desired output. It also refers to meeting the end goal.
DOWNLOAD COMPLETE PROJECT MATERIAL
MANAGERIAL OFFICERS IN EFFECTIVE DELIVERY OF SERVICE IN PUBLIC SECTORS IN NIGERIA. (A CASE STUDY OF AKWA IBOM STATE CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION
rolex replicas says
354182 482254Excellent info, much better still to uncover out your weblog that has a great layout. Nicely done 761014