THE ROLE OF EDUCATED NIGERIA WOMEN IN THE SOCIAL AND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT OF OUR COUNTRY (A CASE STUDY OF NIGERIA)
- 1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Over four decade years ago educated Nigerian women were left out in most of the national issues. Most average Nigeria men felt that the place of women no matter the level of her education end in kitchen.
However the contribution of most educated women in Nigeria in the recent time have cleared al doubt in the saying that what a man can do woman can do more better.
Nigerian women are now coming forward in this 21st century to assert and play significance role in the countries social and economic development with their male counterpart , they have left no stone unturn in carrying out their nature duties either as a civil servant, commissioner, minister, governor, public servant, heads of non governmental organization (NGO)etc. they now organize seminars workshop, campaign etc on women empowerment and campaign on feeding methods and spacing of children and number of children which every family would aim at for a proper education and healthy up bringing.
Economically, most idle house wife in the rural areas have be rehabilitated after receding lectures on the roles educated women in developing economy and women empowerment in our country. Some embraced waving poultring , farming , hand craft etc. these locally made craft during trade fairs has helped to project the ingenuity of Nigerian women as have help to boast the economy of the country.
The recent political interest being shown by educated women in our country have also challenged the uneducated women in the society and the masses at larger to understand that the place of women is not only in the kitchen. The past immediate government recorded most of its success in most area which was spearheaded by woman the strong and unbribable NAFDAC Chairman Dr. Dora Akuntelu she took it upon herself to step drug abuse., Chief Mrs. Ngozi Iwuala minister of finance recorded an unforgettable impact in that ministry and our country at large. Also Mrs. Oby Ezekwesili the minister of education who went a long way in making Nigeria educational system, what it is today Dame Virge Etiaba is not also left out in history as the first woman governor in Nigeria who turn Anambra state into peaceful state during her (100) days in office as governor of Anambra state. To mention but a few.
Women makes psychological impact in the society with the talent they have as mother. They knew the best way to approach the youths children, they have in many time organize themselves in groups to take care of the youths and educate them on the bad affect of drugs and other misconduct, which they involve and the impact of their contribution is been felt all over the country.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEMS
it is sometimes said that women are not logical that their thoughts are less subject to control by the rules of logic and that they depend upon institution and emotion more than men. It is also believed that women are naturally so constitute that they cannot be otherwise. This conception had been used to rationalize much of the prejudice against higher profession and top business and industrial position. Are all these opinion about women facts or are the more cultural biases having no factual base on the capabilities of woman.
The question on their topic might be asked who are these educated women? What significant roles have they played or can play toward developing the country.? Though women are later comers in the race for education. Do we have women who have attained such educational heights as to enable them play the significant role in national development.
1.3 OBJECTIVE/ PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
The study tend to identify various socio-economic development of the country.
- To identify the roles played by the educated Nigerian woman in social and economic development of our country.
- To examine the contributions of the educated Nigerian women in socio economic development of the country.
- To identify the problem facing the educated Nigerian women in their efforts towards social and economic development of our country.
- To identify sources of help and motivation that facilitate the educated women in playing their roles.
1.4 SIGNIFICANT OF THE STUDY
The funding of these research work will significantly create awareness of the roles of educated women and how to improve their performance and participation in social and economic development of our country.
The study will serve as a piece of motivation to the uneducated women on the need for women education and empowerment. It will also inspire the educated women more on the quest for the country social and economic development. It will also help to eliminate the humiliation borne by educated Nigerian women in the country. In essence enable their men counterparts, government and families to understand how important the role of educated women are in the development of our country thereby encouraging women education both financially, morally and otherwise.
Finally, The study will also be of great importance to al the female students in our colleges and will also act as a reference material to the school library.
- 5 SCOPE/ DELIMITATION OF THE STUDY
The work is a research based on socio-economic development of our country . it is to examine the role of educated women.
In the course of study. The contribution of the educated Nigerian women as involved in the social and development of Nigerian should be examine. Problems or weakness as well as standard practices will be looked with as identified and recommendations will be made for improvement.
No attempt was made to look into the activities of other women such as the business women and farmers. The research work will not also looks into the domestic roles of educated Nigerian women in their respective homes.
1.6 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
This study sought answers to the following research question
- What are the roles played by educated Nigerian women in the socio-economic development in our country.
- What are the contributions of the educated Nigerian women in the social and economic development of Nigeria.
- What are sources of help and motivation that facilitate the educated women in playing tier roles?.
- What are the problems that faced the women in tier effort at the social and economic development of Nigeria.
1.7 DEFINITION OF TERMS
The teams used in t his research work which have unique meaning that could be subjected to different interpretations by different readers of this project reports are defined as follows.
- EDUCATED WOMEN: this are women who have been to the school college and university. Those who have acquired certificates either as a degree holder master holder, NCE, ND, HND Holder etc.
- DEVELOPMENT: it is an overall trend or process in which socio- political and socio- economic transformation are achieved , it is the process of improving or changing the quality of a thing.
- SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT: It is an aspect of development that concerns the social aspect of life people as regard. Housing public health services.
- ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT: This deals with those aspects of life designed to give profit to the economy as regards finance agriculture, trade, industries.