CONSOLIDATION AN ACQUISITION: A FINANCIAL* OPTION TO THE PRODUCTIVITY OF BANK IN NIGERIA ECONOMY. (A CASE STUDY OF THREE SELECTED BANKS IN OWERRI IMO STATE)
Through financial intermediation, banks can facilitate capital formation and promote economic growth by operating in a save and sound manner. This means that bans are expected to ensure precedent management of assets and guarantee the safely of customer deposits/funds.For the conduction of this research, the researcher reviewed other related literatures necessary to prove data for the study from the related literature it was observed that consolidation and acquisition are used to maintain adequate and appropriate internal controls measure to prevent incidence of fraud, forgeries and other financial/ malpractice to ensure stability and engender public confidence in the financial system.
In this study, the researcher made use of questionnaire and data collected for the study were analyzed in tables using simple percentage method and hypothesis were tested by the use of Chi-square.
X2= (oi-ei) 2
TABLE OF CONTENTS
TABLE OF CONTENT——————————————VI
2 CHAPTER ONE
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY—————————-2
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM—————————-3
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY——————————3
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTION————————————-4
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY—————————4-5
1.6 SCOPE OF THE STUDY————————————-5-6
1.7 DEFINITION OF TERMS————————————-6
2.0 LITERATURE REVIEW—————————————-7
2.1 INTRODUCTION ——————————————-7-17
3.0 RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODOLOGY——————-18
3.2 RESEARCH DESIGN—————————————19-20
3.3 SOURCES/METHOD OF DATA COLLECTION—————–20
3.4 POPULATION AND SAMPLE SIZE—————————-21
3.5 SAMPLING TECHNIQUES————————————-21
3.6 VALIDITY AND RELIABILITY OF MEASURING INSTRUMENT—————————————–21
3.7 METHOD OF DATA ANALYSIS—————————-22-23
4.0 PRESENTATION AND ANALYSIS OF DATA——————-24
4.1 INTRODUCTION ——————————————–24
4.2 PRESENTATION OF DATA——————————-24-26
4.3 ANALYSIS OF DATA———————————–25-35
4.4 INTERPRETATION OF RESULT ——————————-35
5.0 SUMMARY, CONCLUSION, RECOMMENDATION———— 39
5.2 SUMMARY OF THE FINDING —————————-39-40
(According to Muru) In all human activities there are usually success and failure. Businesses, including banks are therefore no exception. In the period of loan as were experienced in the mid seventies thrived in an era of abundance and squander mamia. In such an era savings and investment are at their level-conditions favorable for banks to flourish and grow.
During this period also, banks do not think of means of survival and sustenance. They were all interested in building state of the art corporate entities to enhance their image and giving out loans indiscriminating without adequate realizable securities. On the other hand, when the lay daTa are over and down turns take over, the orders of the day as a result of macro-economic condition.
The situation as at now attained a dimension that can best be described as “cries level in the banking sector which became characterized by default in loan payment, dis saving and massive fraud at management level.
- BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
(According to Abraham) He says in all human activities, there is usually success and failure business including banks is therefore no exception. In period of loan as were experienced in the mid seventies thrived in an abundance and squander mania. In such an era savings and investments are at their peak level conditions favorable for bank to flourish and grow.
During this period also, banks do not think means survive and substance. They were all interested in building state of the art corporate edifies to enhance their image and giving out loans indiscriminately without adequate realizable securities.
On the other hand, when the lay days are over and down turns take over the orders the days arrive and banks failure become the order of the day as a result of adverse macro- economic conditions. The situation as at now attained a dimension that can best be described as “cries” level in the banking sector which became characterized by default in loan repayment,, dis-saving and massive fraud of management level.
- STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
- Obviously every private and public enterprise in Nigeria have their accounting departments and there are increasing cases of financial mismanagement in usually all the public and private organization in Nigeria.
- Also the problem of this study lies on how the manager of the enterprises are able to recognize the role of accounting in their sectors so that these case of improper accountability will be minimized.
- OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
- The main aim of this project is to show consolidation and acquisition as a financial option to the productivity in Nigeria banks, consolidation and acquisition will help to increase the value of the combined banks
- Also enable the banks that lack general managerial ability to obtain it from other banks.
- The project shall highlight among others the following nature of consolidation and acquisition.
- RESEARCH QUESTION
- These questions are asked by research in order to find answer to the research problem. The questions are as follows.
- Is consolidation and acquisition in financial option to the productivity in banking industry in Nigeria
- Can consolidation and acquisition increase the confidence Nigeria deposit have in Nigeria
- Does consolidation and acquisition have any significant reduction in unsystematic risks after a business combination?
- Has consolation and acquisition achieve diversification of investment portfolio.
- SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
- This study is of immense importance to the chief executive of banks, shareholders, employers and regulatory authorities, prospective investors in the financial sector and more.
- Especial the financial analysis and consultant
- The studies also help public especially the depositor to know the banks that are sound so as to understand distress.
- The investor in the industry will also know where to direct or re-direct their investment for optimum return on their investments.
1.6 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
Since the consolidation and acquisition cause in Nigerian banking industries, the study will be limited to three of the acquisition
– Universal Trust Bank PLC by union bank of Nigeria Plc equity Nigeria banks limited by international bank Magnum Trust Bank by Guarantee Trust Bank on the consolidation part, this research will draw its data from bank consolidation in Nigeria.
– Platinum Bank of Nigeria by Habibi Bank of Nigeria, United Bank of African by Standard Trust Bank of Nigeria.
- LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
– Firstly some of the banks will not agree to disclose the strategies they used in their business may be because of the competitive nature of the business or fear of opposition.
– Secondly, the valuation method of the banks shares will differ from bank and in problems during negotiation between the interested banks.