TRADITIONAL INSTITUTIONS IN OMU-ARAN DURING THE COLONIAL ERA
Omu-Aran is the most populous and largest town in igbominaland of kwara state. The town was originally called “Omu” but was later changed to OmuAran about 1400 when the people moved finally to the present site. The name “Omu” was derived from Omutoto, the woman whose children established the first settlement at Odo-Omu between the 13th and 14th century. Indeed, it was largely in recognition of Omu-Aran’s historic importance in igbominaland that the town was chosen as the headquarters of the former
igbomina-Ekiti local government authority in 1968.
It also became the headquarters of Irepodun local government area when the former Igbomina-Ekiti local government was split into two on the 24th of august 1976. The people speak Igbomina dialect or Yoruba language and their customs are in many ways similar to those of the other Yorubas. Their occupation was largely influenced by the vegetation of the area. Thus, they are predominantly farmers, producing such crops as yam, maize, guinea corn, cassava, beans and vegetable for consumption. While kola nut, palm products, cocoa and coffee in very small quantities are economic crops. Omu-Aran is famous in handcraft
such as basket making, blacksmithing, carving, dyeing, cloth weaving, wood carving and pottery.
1.2. AIMS AND OBJECTIVES:
The aim of this research work is to discuss traditional institutions in Omu-Aran during the colonial era.
Objectively, it seeks to examine the impact of colonial rule on the traditional institutions in Omu-Aran.
The work intends to look at how traditional institutions were able to survive and co-exist with the incursion of the Europeans and the advent of colonialism.
It explores the activities of traditional institutions prior to colonial rule and how British administration interfered with these institutions. By this, making available to the public and the academic world, an analytical research work on traditional institutions and their survival in the face of foreign domination.